(*18.4.1899 Uherské Hradiště †4.3.1962 Prague)
He began to study law inVienna and philosophy at the University in Prague. He later devoted himself to music. He attended courses of František Neumann and Leoš Janáček at the Brno Conservatory (1925–26). He received vital experiences in opera and found his own Romantic and expresive style of conducting. From 1925 to 1936, he worked as a second conductor, and later as conductor in Brno. Here, he created a tradition of Czech and Russian repertoire. During the period between 1936 and 1945, he worked as a music advisor in the National Theatre in Prague, but however, rarely conducted. From 1945 to 1947, he worked as a Chief of Opera in Ostrava and after a short period in Prague, he returned again to Ostrava. From 1949 to 1951, he worked as the Chief of Opera in Brno, from 1951 to 1953, the Chief of Opera at the Slovakian National Theatre in Bratislava. From 1956 to 1959, he worked in the Grand Theatre in Moskow and guested in Leningrad. Here, he studied many Czech works, such as Janáček´s Jenůfa in 1958 and Dvořák´s Rusalka in 1959. He was also an excellent conductor of concerts. He represented one of must important personalitis of his generation in the enre of opera.